Abingdon County Hall Museum
This splendid 17th century baroque building housed a courtroom for Assizes, raised on arches over a market space. The building was formerly the county hall of Berkshire; Abingdon was the county town until it ceded that title to Reading in 1867.
The hall was built 1678–83 and was most likely designed by the Oxfordshire-born stonemason Christopher Kempster, who trained with Sir Christopher Wren on St Paul's Cathedral. It stands on pillars with a sheltered area beneath for use as a market or other municipal functions. Nikolaus Pevsner said of the building: "Of the free-standing town halls of England with open ground floors this is the grandest". It now houses the Abingdon Museum.The museum is supported by Abingdon Museum Friends, a registered charity.
The museum's collections were started in 1919. The museum has permanent collections and presents temporary exhibitions several times a year. There are also smaller exhibitions on local themes that are changed every month.
On sunny days take in the lovely rooftop views overlooking the market square. A new museum cafe is located in the basement.
Admission to the museum galleries is free. Prices shown are for roof access. The roof is open every weekend from Easter to the end of October, and daily during summer (weather permitting).
Child (6-16 years) £1.00
Oxfordshire - OX14 3HG
There is no on site car park. Public car parks and on-street parking are available in the town centre, approximately 90 meters from the museum. Unfortunately, the cost of parking cannot be refunded at the museum, although two hours free parking is available in some of the town centre car parks.
Oxford Bus 35/A/B from Oxford (passes Radley railway station)
In Abingdon, 7 miles south of Oxford; in Market Place
Radley 2 1⁄2 miles