Black Carts Turret - Hadrians Wall
Black Carts Turret, also known as Turret 29A, is a 460 metre (1,509 feet) length of Hadrian's Wall including one turret. It is a part of the defences on Hadrian's Wall.
Hadrian's Wall was built by the Romans between AD122 -128. It stretched 117km across Northern England from the river Tyne to the Solway Firth. At every ‘Roman mile’ (approx 1.5 km) along the wall a mile castle was built. These were small forts for up to 50 men.
Between each of these were two turrets. There were also at least 16 major forts such as Wallsend, Housesteads and Vindolanda on or near the wall. Around 2,000 soldiers were needed to patrol the wall. This property is now in the care of English Heritage
Please note: it is not possible for visitors to park here.
Black Carts Turret (Hadrian's Wall)
+44 0870 333 1181
2 miles W of Chollerford on B6318
Hexham 7 miles